- Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 November 2012 14:12
- Published on Wednesday, 14 November 2012 13:49
- Hits: 2868
Dahlgren cancels event
Fireworks have been cancelled in King George for Fourth of July, 2013.
As in 2008 through 2010, residents will again have to go out of the county if they wish to view a fireworks display during their 2013 Fourth of July celebrations.
The Board of Supervisors reluctantly made the decision at a meeting last week on Nov. 6.
- Last Updated on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:46
- Published on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:43
- Hits: 1967
My interview was with Commander William M. Pinto, USN (Ret.). He was born on March 31, 1962, in Somerville, New Jersey. He served in the United States Navy for twenty-one years, from March 1985 to October 2006. He chose to serve in the Navy, although he considered the Marine Corps. His godfather had been in the Navy during World War II and he liked being at sea. He had an opportunity in college to experience life on submarines, onboard a ship, and in aircraft; ultimately he chose the sea.
- Last Updated on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:38
- Published on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:38
- Hits: 1034
The veteran I interviewed was my brother Frankie. I don’t get to see him as much as I would like to so that’s why I chose him.
- Last Updated on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:55
- Published on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:37
- Hits: 1137
In 1989 my dad enlisted in the United States Navy and has been on active duty ever since. My family, including my two sisters, myself and my mom are very proud of my dad being in the Navy. He has been in the Navy for almost 20 years now. He stared out as an enlisted Seaman and has worked his way up to Commander. The Navy paid for him to get a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree. We travel almost everywhere the Navy sends him.
- Last Updated on Saturday, 10 November 2012 15:21
- Published on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:36
- Hits: 1187
Commander Shawn Cowan was commissioned in 1993 at age 21, after he completed his Bachelor’s in Social and Decision Sciences and Political Science at Carnegie Mellon University. He joined the Navy because he really wanted to fly, and apparently he thought that flying would be easier than racecar driving. He also wanted to fly F-14s and the Navy offered him scholarships for college. The day he was commissioned he was exhilarated and very proud of himself. His parents were also happy for him and were immensely overjoyed that he joined the military, as his father was in the Marines.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 08 November 2012 13:10
- Published on Thursday, 08 November 2012 13:10
- Hits: 1296
The Owens intersection on Dahlgren Road (Route 206) has been a topic of conversation for more than a decade, with the King George Board of Supervisors on the record with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) for wanting the intersection to be made safer.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 08 November 2012 12:49
- Published on Thursday, 08 November 2012 12:49
- Hits: 1053
Three outstanding businesses of the Fredericksburg Regional Chamber of Commerce have won the 2012 Goodwill Awards in recognition of their extraordinary commitments to helping others and improving the local quality of life. EXIT Realty Expertise in King George won the award for a medium business, the first time in its eleven year history that a King George business has been recognized.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 31 October 2012 17:23
- Published on Wednesday, 31 October 2012 17:23
- Hits: 1021
An advisory committee established by the King George Board of Supervisors is whittling down the field of uses it intends to ultimately recommend for use of Ralph Bunche, the historic former school building.