- Last Updated on Wednesday, 02 December 2009 18:37
- Published on Wednesday, 02 December 2009 18:37
- Hits: 730
The parents of a King George Middle School student are questioning the legal validity of a written response from the School Board to their two third-party complaints filed on Sept. 23.
They think more is required of the School Board under state law.
The two-sentence written response from School Board Chairman Sherrie Allwine on Nov. 17 said, “I am writing in response to the Third Party Complaints that you submitted on Sept. 27, 2009 against Dr. Candace Brown and Ms. Seidah Ashshaheed. Please know that the School Board completed an investigation of the Third Party Complaints and has determined there is no basis for further action.”
Due to privacy issues, we are not publishing the names of the parents, student, or teacher involved in the alleged incident.
But the School Board publicly revealed at meetings on Oct. 1 and Oct.14 that Ashshaheed was the subject of one of the pair of third-party complaints by its wording of motions for closed session discussions at those meetings.
That would also indicate it’s a middle school teacher who is alleged to have assaulted a seventh- or eighth-grader last spring.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 November 2009 05:00
- Published on Wednesday, 25 November 2009 05:00
- Hits: 594
The King George Board of Supervisors agreed again last week, as it had at a meeting on Nov. 5, to put off whether to grant a request by the School Board for some of the surplus money Superintendent Candace Brown was not able to spend last school year.
The decision was postponed because Donita Harper, Deputy County Administrator & Director of Finance, told supervisors she received some additional memos from Brown after her written recommendation went to the board in its meeting packet.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 September 2009 15:14
- Published on Wednesday, 30 September 2009 15:14
- Hits: 484
Meeting proposed to discuss shift of all Potomac Elementary students next year
The King George School Board is still unsure about what to do with the former middle school building which was closed by the division in June.
School Board members indicated last week at a meeting on Sept. 23 they are leaning toward the idea of shifting all Potomac students to the old middle school next year in September 2010.
Superintendent Candace Brown first floated that scheme to move Potomac students and staff next year to the middle school building at a meeting on Sept. 9.
That use of the former middle school building would be for the short term because the School Board desires Potomac to be renovated during 2010-2011 and wants it empty during that construction.
Then the division would move Potomac students back to the renovated school, along with going through a formal redistricting process that would end up changing the elementary school attendance areas to get more kids at Potomac and a better distribution of student numbers at the other elementary schools.
According to the current scheme, that redistricting of students among the elementary schools could likely not take effect until at least 2012-2013 and might also include conversion of the former middle school building into a permanent elementary school.
Vote in the poll "Former KGMS Building" on the right side of this page.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 September 2009 05:00
- Published on Wednesday, 16 September 2009 05:00
- Hits: 390
Dennis Paulsen was the only School Board member to publicly comment on Brown’s decision to not permit county students to watch a live broadcast of President Barack Obama’s speech to students on the first day of school.
Brown had told The Journal she had received three comments on the division’s Web site, “Ask the Superintendent,” and about 12-15 calls at the School Board office asking in advance of the nationwide broadcast on Sept. 8 that students not see the speech.
After the speech had been published and broadcast, Brown told us the speech was taped, saying principals would make it available to teachers to show, but after they had sent home opt out forms.
During his board comments at the meeting on Sept. 9, Paulsen said, “I’m a little disappointed yesterday that our kids didn’t get to hear and listen to our president’s encouraging words and inspiring motivation.”
He added: “I read the speech prior to the event and found absolutely nothing wrong with it. So, besides parents and teachers and administrators, who else would you to inspire and motivate your children other than our president? Hopefully, we can work out something so the kids can hear those inspiring words that he had to share with everyone.”
— Phyllis Cook
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 September 2009 05:00
- Published on Wednesday, 09 September 2009 05:00
- Hits: 402
Superintendent says county requested a 3 percent surplus
The King George School Board is slated this week to discuss asking the Board of Supervisors for a portion of the more than $1 million revenue surplus that Superintendent Candace Brown did not spend in the 2008-09 fiscal year, which ended June 30.
A list of items is expected to be distributed by Brown at the meeting on Wednesday, following our press time.
At the previous meeting on Aug. 26, Brown said she wanted to provide supervisors with a list of one-time non-recurring items with cost estimates.
Brown said the items on the top of her list includes a handicapped accessible bus for $93,000 and a lawnmower for $9,000, along with an unspecified amount to provide a one-time payment to employees to pay the cost of their health insurance increase in the current fiscal year.
Brown wants to ask the county for an additional appropriation in the current fiscal year because at the last meeting, she told the School Board the division ended up with $1,259,131 left over at the end of the 2008-09 fiscal year.
The division’s operating budget had $598,212 left, with an additional $470,449 surplus in a lottery escrow fund.
Brown said the state’s General Assembly is allowing unspent lottery proceeds to be requested for appropriation back to the school division by Supervisors.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 02 September 2009 05:00
- Published on Wednesday, 02 September 2009 05:00
- Hits: 477
King George division Superintendent Candace Brown is compiling a list of requests to go to the county Board of Supervisors to ask for more than $1 million that was not spent in the 2008-09 fiscal year, which ended June 30, though encumbrances could be accrued back until the end of August.
At last week’s meeting on Aug. 26, Brown said the School Board ended up with $598,212 left in the division’s operating budget and an additional $470,449 surplus in a lottery escrow fund.
Those surplus figures do not include an additional $138,631 in federal grant funds that will be requested to be carried forward. Nor does it include a surplus of $51,839 to be carried forward in the Cafeteria Fund.
Brown also stated that the county’s required local matching amount of funding has come to $135,347 more than required by the state for the preliminary ADM number provided.