- Last Updated on Wednesday, 02 January 2013 12:52
- Published on Wednesday, 02 January 2013 12:52
- Hits: 1306
This weekend is the last chance deer hunters roaming our local woods will get for putting up any venison. If data holds true from just before Christmas, our harvest figures are going to look like the stock market when it took a dive several years ago. However, as much as we like to put meat up for the coming months, it is rarely about the numbers of deer
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 26 December 2012 11:25
- Published on Wednesday, 26 December 2012 11:25
- Hits: 1407
If you venture outdoors or talk to those who do chances are you have heard of coyotes infiltrating the area lately. In fact, they have been here for many years. A few weeks ago, a local farmer, Larry Carr, had his picture in the paper with a coyote he took. In fact, he has killed two that I know of this year. A number of hunters and landowners have taken coyotes this season. In a recent hunt near NSWC a group of hunters took a half dozen coyotes before lunch and
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 12:03
- Published on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 00:39
- Hits: 1422
The last half a dozen times I have ventured into the woods I have carried a .22 rifle. While I have not given up on deer hunting, I have read the writing on the wall and realize that seeing a deer is going to require more than a few short walks around the property to get a shot. I decided that when time to carry a firearm is short it might be better spent on taking home some meat however small a package it may come in.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 12:05
- Published on Wednesday, 12 December 2012 10:43
- Hits: 1513
As our deer season progresses, more and more anecdotal evidence and hard facts are coming to the surface regarding our local deer herd. While Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has not made any statements lately or come to any additional conclusions about the localized effect that the Hemorrhagic Disease (HD) has had on our deer herd, local hunters, many of them long-time hunters with
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 December 2012 10:53
- Published on Wednesday, 05 December 2012 10:53
- Hits: 1411
Few people are fishing but those that are and know what they are doing are doing very well.
Aqualand (301-259-0572) reported good catfish action. One of their customers is going out and jigging up some beautiful striped bass measuring 24 inches in length.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 December 2012 10:52
- Published on Wednesday, 05 December 2012 10:52
- Hits: 938
Last week I did a short piece on the fact that many hunters are seeing far fewer deer this season than last. Some hunters are wondering if too many deer have been harvested. Others have mused that the hemorrhagic disease (HD) outbreak was worse than we thought, and still others felt that the incredible acorn crop was to blame.