- Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 February 2013 11:10
- Published on Wednesday, 20 February 2013 11:10
- Hits: 930
The Hunter/Landowner Advisory Committee met on Feb. 12 in the sheriff’s office building as their annual follow up to the hunting season to hear of any issues arising between hunters, hunters and landowners and receive reports from the sheriff, animal control and VDGIF Conservation Police Officers (CPO).
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 February 2013 13:12
- Published on Wednesday, 13 February 2013 13:12
- Hits: 1062
My phone buzzed last week with an invitation from Chris Jabs of Jabs Construction, offering me a spot on a field goose hunt in the James River Population Zone west of here. Jabs and I have often hunted together and we have also fished together. Jabs had booked a trip with Teddy Carr of Outdoor Action. You might recognize the name. Carr guides bass anglers on local rivers and lakes.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 18:09
- Published on Wednesday, 30 January 2013 00:09
- Hits: 1702
The Cottontail Rabbit distress call makes the foxes come running. They get really excited by the squeal of a rabbit that sounds hurt.
Forty years ago there were a lot of guys either fox or coon hunting or they were trapping. These days that has changed dramatically. I only know of one other person that traps and that person has multiple properties
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 11:41
- Published on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 11:41
- Hits: 1626
Die hard bass anglers who are savvy about their skills can test them and prove their merit as hawg hunters during the Ice Breaker Tournament at Motts Reservoir on Feb. 24 and Mar. 9 in Spotsylvania. Fishing a deep sided reservoir during the late winter can be very tough. I spoke to both Ray Thomas and longtime angler and tournament organizer, Dickie Musselman, about the fishing during the Ice Breakers. Thomas says that
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 January 2013 14:44
- Published on Thursday, 10 January 2013 00:36
- Hits: 1610
Despite the effects of Hemorrhagic Disease (HD) and the likely lower harvest figures, hunters are beginning to see deer again. It’s as if the deer have a calendar and hunting regulation booklet: they began coming out soon after the season ended and some even before.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 13:37
- Published on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 13:37
- Hits: 1886
Buddy Fines provided me with an update on recent events to include the 2nd annual Farley Vale Farm Disabled Veterans Deer Hunt that took place on December 20th.