- Last Updated on Wednesday, 29 January 2014 08:22
- Published on Wednesday, 29 January 2014 08:22
- Hits: 321
This pair of Staffordshire lions belongs to a family in the lower Northern Neck. One has an indistinct mark on the bottom, and both are in excellent condition.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 January 2014 00:33
- Published on Wednesday, 15 January 2014 00:33
- Hits: 427
Recently a lady and her brother inherited several pieces of American Victorian parlor furniture. The frames are walnut, and the condition of each piece is excellent. The family members cannot use the pieces, and have asked how to value them for sale.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 08 January 2014 10:20
- Published on Wednesday, 08 January 2014 10:20
- Hits: 423
Over the past 14 years that I have written this column, I have received as many inquiries about how to proceed with antiques, as I have actual questions about specific pieces. This week, rather than addressing an individual piece, I should like to answer some of these general concerns and questions.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 01 January 2014 14:54
- Published on Wednesday, 01 January 2014 14:54
- Hits: 675
These two small cloisonne’ bowls come from a Northern Neck family whose members have collected a large number of pieces. Both are in excellent condition. The other photographs also are interesting, but this one illustrates an important point in evaluating cloisonne’.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 December 2013 17:08
- Published on Tuesday, 24 December 2013 17:08
- Hits: 1040
This secretary bookcase belonged to a lady from California who died earlier this year. Her daughter has inherited it, and plans to keep it in her home in the Northern Neck. The wood is mahogany, and the finish has been restored. The ends are solid, rather than paneled. The secondary wood is pine. One of the brass knobs on the upper drawer is damaged, but the overall condition is excellent.