- Last Updated on Tuesday, 06 August 2013 11:51
- Published on Wednesday, 07 August 2013 00:50
- Hits: 1244
This week we have another painted piece of furniture. It is a jelly cupboard, with old, if not original, buttermilk green paint that is worn quite heavily. The owner asks whether to have the piece refinished, or to leave it as is. From the places where the paint is worn off, he thinks the wood is cherry, and notes the sturdy construction throughout.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 July 2013 14:50
- Published on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 00:50
- Hits: 837
This step-back Sheraton or Empire chest was a purchase at a private estate sale by a gentleman who enjoys working on furniture. It needed little attention, mainly cleaning the old finish, and re-gluing some of the glue blocks. The wood is mahogany with the drawer fronts in burl veneer, and the secondary wood is pine.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 July 2013 11:38
- Published on Wednesday, 24 July 2013 11:38
- Hits: 1288
This painted chest was a recent auction purchase by a gentleman in the Middle Peninsula. It shows no signs of ever having had a mirror attached. The knobs are replacements, the originals having been bails, as evidenced by the two drilled holes at each pull, one having been filled in before the piece was painted. The wood appears to be oak or chestnut. The piece has paneled ends, and the drawers are dovetailed.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 16 July 2013 15:24
- Published on Wednesday, 17 July 2013 00:17
- Hits: 952
A couple of years ago a Kilmarnock couple inherited this oak hall tree. It retains the original finish and has all of the original brass-plated iron hooks. The mirror is beveled, and the piece is in excellent condition. The seat lifts to reveal a place for storing shoes. As they cannot use it in their home, they are planning to
- Last Updated on Monday, 08 July 2013 15:55
- Published on Wednesday, 10 July 2013 00:19
- Hits: 994
A family near Kilmarnock recently inherited this oak sideboard. They are considering selling it as none of the heirs has room for it. The finish is probably original, and the condition is excellent, including that of the original mirror and the veneer. It has solid ends.